Saturday, November 14, 2009

Diversity Roll Call: Early Readers

This weeks Roll Call question comes from Ali @ Worducopia Paricaptes were asked to find early readers with children of color as main characters.






Hill of Fire (I Can Read Book 3) by Thomas P. Lewis

Chang's Paper Pony (I Can Read) by Eleanor Coerr



A Bear for Miguel (I Can Read Book 3) by Elaine Marie Alphin

The Outside Dog (I Can Read Book 3) by Charlotte Pomerantz

Stories Huey Tells (Stepping Stone, paper) by Ann Cameron


Donavan's Word Jar (Trophy Chapter Book) by Monalisa Degross

How to Fish for Trouble (Willimena Rules) by Valerie Wilson Wesley


Tippy Lemmey by Patricia C. McKissack

Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up by Melissa Thomson

Luke on the Loose by Harry Bliss



Go Fish (Trophy Chapter Books) by Mary Stolz

Nikki and Deja by Karen English


Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel by Nikki Grimes

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things by Lenore Look

Ruby Lu, Brave and True (Ready-for-Chapters) by Lenore Look


All Mixed Up! (Amy Hodgepodge, No. 1) by Kim Wayans






And Coming Soon
Ling & Ting : Not Exactly The Same by Grace Lin - I wish I could take credit for finding this soon to be early reader but I can't. I found out about it thanks to a Little Brown and Company Spring Preview over at Fuse#8



I was familar with many of these titles. I read and really enjoyed Ava Tree and Wishes Three earlier in the year. My review I did find some new books thanks to this roll call. I also discovered that Capital Mysteries features best friends KC Corcoran and Marshall Li solving mysteries near the Capital.

In case you missed it - a question inspired by this roll call.

6 comments:

Ms. Edith Campbell said...

nice job, Doret! I know this was not easy!
Tales Julian Tells by Ann Cameron is a wonderful early reader. I used to read it with my children. So well written! Julian is Huey's older brother.

The WordPress open ID has been having problems, I'm using my alternate identity. :) Edi

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You always come up with wonderful lists, Doret! Thanks for compiling this!

Liz B said...

I'm halfway thru the graphic novel THE SECRET SCIENCE ALLIANCE AND THE COPYCAT CROOK, by Eleanor Davis, which is for younger readers. Not only is the Alliance itself diverse, but the illustrations are as well, including not just children of color but also kids in wheelchairs, etc.

susan said...

Girl, you rock! I picked up Calvin and Keena. Had to request my library purchase the Grimes book.

I really like Keena (we share birthdays). I'm reading it now then passing it on to a friend's daughter who just cracks me up. Said daughter has agreed to write reviews for me.I'll keep you posted.

Doret said...

I couldn't do this list without including a book by Ann Cameron. That just seems wrong.

Thanks Jill. I do like making list.

Thanks Liz. Many of the children's books featuring people of color I found out about thanks to other bloggers. Amazon is no help.

Susan - Glad you liked Keena, especially since you share a birthday. The Nikki & Deja books just as fun.

Ali said...

Wow, Doret, you outdid yourself! Nice job.