Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ruby Lu, Empress Everything Lenore Look

Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything by Lenore Look illus. Anne Wilsdorf This is the second book in the Ruby Lu series. I haven't read the first book yet but I definitely will, I loved Ruby Lu. This is a wonderful series that will hook many young readers. The Lu's get a nice surprise and a fuller house, when family from China emigrate to the U.S. 7yr old Ruby is excited her cousin Flying Duck will be moving in. From the first chapter, where Ruby Lu's talks about all the great things about immigration, I loved her voice. She's lovable, sweet, and not too perfect. A few chapters in, its revealed that Flying Duck is deaf. Flying Duck deafness is not a big deal, merely a fact. This is Ruby Lu's world but everyone is included from her family, to her classmates and neighbors. This book is great on so many different levels. Look's writing is effortless and smooth. The author seamlessly includes literary nuances that are possible, thanks to the main character being Chinese American. I highly recommend this series.
Ages 7up


More Ruby Lu Reviews

2 comments:

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

Thanks for the link! I'm so glad you liked this book. It had me laughing aloud with my daughter. It makes a great read-aloud for 1st graders, maybe even kindergarten.

Have you read the author's new series: Alvin Ho? Just as funny.

Doret said...

Actually I just read the two books back to back, I loved Alvin Ho.