Saturday, January 24, 2009

Jumped Rita Williams-Garcia


Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia Leticia overhears Dominique's plan to jump Trina. Now Leticia must decide if she will warn Trina. The chapters alternate between the three girls, the transitions are seamless. All Trina does is squeeze pass Dominique in the hallway. It seems like such a little thing but its enough to set Dominique off. This non -encounter gone wrong is very believable. Sometimes its the small things that can make a person snap. I loved the poetic writing of this novel. Each girls voice is the rhythm of their personalty. The author has created fully developed characters in Leticia, Dominique and Trina.

Time to share. Leticia in English

You know life is unfair. Bea's class has Push and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings for winter break reading. They're reading true to life dramas. Our class has Mr Walsh's favorite, A Separate Peace. A book every high school student must read, according to Walsh. I see his point. One day I might transfer to an elite military school, befriend a bunch of losers, climb a tree, and watch a classmate fall and break his leg.
Jumped will be released February 24

3 comments:

Apryl DeLancey said...

Wow, this and the previous post look like some good reads for young people. I know a particular youth group that would surely benefit - I'll have to pick these up for them. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

susan said...

Okay, first, I am a Williams-Garcia fan. Second, Push? Are we talking Push by Sapphire? Pretty raw book. Surprised would get past administration in high school. Sorry, I got sidetracked. Anyhoo, appreciate the review. Will be looking for this. ~susan aka z

Doret said...

Yep that Push. I don't think of it as raw rather realistic fiction. Push the movie is at Sundance now.
That makes me very happy.