Wednesday, January 7, 2009

11 Birthdays Wendy Mass

11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass- This is the perfect book to begin the New Year. Its a book about do overs and second chances. Amanda lives in the small town of Willow Falls. She shares her birthday with a boy named Leo. They've always celebrated their birthdays together, until their 10 birthday when they have a falling out. Now its time for their 11 Birthday, they will have separate parties for the first time. Amanda and Leo are forced to relive their birthday Friday until they figure out how to stop the loop. I loved this book, it was so much fun. Each new day or same day depending on how you look at it , Amanda answers a new question or tries something new. Mass writing is beautiful and thoughtful as always. Though they're reliving the same day Amanda and Leo both try different things and this keeps the book from becoming repetitive. Mass keeps in the funny things to reminds us its still the same day- like the SpongeBob SquarePants happy birthday balloon in Amanda's room and the boy in tears in the hallway because he forget his homework assignment. Boys will enjoy this book as much as girl. It would make an excellent book club pick for a boy/girl book club. There is much to be talked about. Second chances, which birthday would you do over, how to be friends with someone of the opposite sex, just to name a few.

Time to share

I reach out to turn off my alarm, open my eyes, and scream! Someone's standing in the middle of my room. He's short and squat, and his arms and legs are waving wildly. It's too dark to see anything clearly. Safety tips run through my head. Stop, drop, and roll? That doesn't seem helpful. Duck and cover? That one's better. I throw the covers over my head and lie still. Why isn't the intruder saying anything. With one swift move, I flip on my lamp. It's not a person. It's a SpongeBob SquarePants happy birthday balloon.


No comments: