Friday, January 13, 2012

An Intermisson and Introduction to Birthday Party Pledge

Yesterday I posted my first look at the 2012 Corretta Scott King award, looking at all the eligible illustrators. I had initially planned to go over the eligible authors today, though I've decided instead to do a quick intermission and talk about the Birthday Party Pledge. This is a new project that I am very excited about. The purpose of BPP is encourage people to take a pledge to buy multlicutural books for gifts for children in their for one year. Download the Pledge Certificate.

I promise to give multicultural books as gifts to the children in my life for ONE year.
I promise to encourage them to read about and appreciate diversity in all its forms.
I commit myself to building a new generation of readers!


BPP is there to help if your not sure what to buy. There is a help hotline available, allowing for personalized recommendations. BPP wasn't my idea but I am very happy to be a part of it.

So please take some time today to check out The Birthday Party Pledge site and let us know what your think.

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

I think this is way cool, and am honored to be linked to. If the help line ever gets a mg sff request, I'd be happy to offer my two cents!

Doret said...

Thanks Charlotte and your list is a great resource

Blessy Mathew said...

Hi Doret! Promoting multicultural books is so important, and I applaud you for that. Children and adults need to be aware of the many books that feature our diverse culture. Good luck with your pledge!

Doret said...

Thanks Blessy Mathew and tell your friends

Sanjay Nambiar said...

I love this idea! We absolutely need to share more multicultural books (and music, art, events, food, etc!) as much as possible. This is how we grow as a community and expand our horizons as individuals. Kudos to you for posting about this!

Ashley Hope PĂ©rez said...

The smartest thing about this idea? We all have to buy birthday gifts for kids in our lives... this just gives us a way to remember that our dollars can also help broaden the notions of the little people around us.