Monday, January 9, 2012

The Challenge/ No Predictions This Year (Maybe)

I signed up for the comment challenge that's put together by Mother Reader and Lee Wind, so I've been blog hopping and leaving a few comments of my own. Though I figured since I entered the challenge I needed new content here.

On Jan. 23 the ALA Youth Media Awards will be announced, the last two years I posted by predictions. I am not having must luck, my Printz predictions are especially bad, having gotten none correct. I am a superstitious* person, unlike author James Preller who did this wonderful interview with Carmen Deedy about The Cheshire Cheese Cat (loved it, fingers are crossed). Preller had no problem mentioning one of the awards outright. So I am contemplating whether or not I will make predictions this year. Though I don't like the idea of not guessing then some of the books I would've listed medal because I won't get any I told ya so bragging rights. However the superstitious me thinks the reason why these titles did medal is because I didn't guess. This here is a true conundrum.

Though for the first time I will be looking at all the contenders for the Corretta Scott King award. I will be looking at the illustrator award first. By my count there were 14 picture books written and or illustrated by an African American artists. Today I took another look at my signed copy (thanks Edi) of A Nation's Hope by Matt de la Pena, which was illustrated by Kadir Nelson, and I couldn't help but wonder if Nelson could win and honor, since he always wrote and illus. Heart and Soul this year. But will get into this more later in the week probably Thursday,followed by a look at all the eligible books for the author award. To look at the Corretta Scott King award and not the is Pura Belpre is no bueno so that will follow.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you list your Coretta Scott King hopefuls sooner rather than later. I want to make sure I've read most of them this year. It's one medal I cannot figure out how they choose the winner on that one!

Doret said...

It's going to be sooner, already finished up the post about eligible illustrators, thats Thursday for sure. I should have the author award portion up on Friday. And this time I've read all the eligible CSK picture books and novels.

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said...

This sounds so exciting!!!

Unknown said...

Looking forward to your CSK award hopefuls rundown. My TBR list is sure to be expanding!

MotherReader said...

I'll be very interested to follow your thoughts on the CSK possibilities - especially for illustrator as I'm more likely to have seen/read them doing the Cybils picture book judging this year. I'm trying to remember what stood out in terms of CSK, but honestly with 260 books it's all kind of a blur.

Regina said...

Hopped over because of the comment challenge!
Can't wait for the CSK awards!