Monday, June 7, 2010

I Am a Judge and More

This is the second year for the NerdsHeartYA tournament for under represented YA literature. The 32 books shortlisted were recently released. I love this list. Its filled with a lot of great books that could do from a little more attention. I am a judge in the second round

I will be posting an interview with on of the shortlisted authors Terra Elan McVoy very soon. Her wonderful novel Pure is out in paperback now.

Do check out author Zetta Elliott's three part series with author Rita Williams Garcia on her new middle grade novel One Crazy Summer. (I got nothing but love for that book). I know many people will probably miss this which is a shame, because like One Crazy Summer there is an openness to it that I loved.

I am still having a very hard time understanding the Gulf Oil Spill. How it happened and why its still spilling? As bad as the Exxon Valdez oil spill was in 89, I could grasp the why and the how. I wonder if the fisherman who are helping with the cleanup and taking people to and from on their boats are being paid for their time. Edi sent me this picture of a sad, funny, ironic and inappropriate sign at a BP station she got via twitter.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

Thanks for posting about the contest :)

Anonymous said...

Doret,
Didn't McVoy just come out with a new book, or am I confusing her with someone else?

Doret said...

Jodie - For the next few weeks I will be slipping in mentions of contest, like a silent ninja on a midnight mission.

Edi - McVoy does has a new book called After the Kiss. Though, I still think you are thinking of another author

Jenny said...

Ugh, I'm so mad about the oil spill. Every time BP opens its mouth about it, they make me angrier. But I love the pic!