Monday, January 25, 2010

The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz

The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz
This was one of those stories I wish I had a fireplace to read it by. I lent the arc to a co-coworker, when I got it back there was a post it on it that said, " Amazing, I want to be Flory."

There is a simple beauty to this story. Flory is are night fairy born a little after midnight. Not yet three months old Flory must make her way into the world alone. On her first solo flight a bat accidentally breaks Flory's wings. She must make a home of a nearby garden and become a day fairy for safety.

Flory must learn to adjust to her new surroundings. She is a very resourceful fairy. Her first friendship with an always hungry squirrel named Skuggle came about because of necessity.
Flory has an easy time of getting Skuggle to do her bidding, though she learns not all the animals can be controlled.

There is a simple beauty to this story. Each day brings something new for Flory. It was a pleasure to watch Flory navigate her new world and learn how to interact with others. The Night Fairy is an illustrated story just under 120 pages. The author took great care with every word. From beginning to end The Night Fairy was a pure joy to read, I loved it. Angela Barrett's illustrations will be in full color. In the arc the artwork is unfinished. Though from The Night Fairy page and sample of full color illustrations on back flap of the arc, Barrett's illus. are going to be gorgeous and warm. Flory looks Black to me, check out the excerpt and tell me what you think. Ages 7 up. This would be a wonderful story to read at bedtime. Scheduled released date is Feb. 23

Read an excerpt

A Fuse#8 review

8 comments:

Mardel said...

I never think of fairies, goblins, etc in terms of black or caucasion, or ...whatever. I think of them as separate. But from the first picture (cover) the silouette looks like she could be a poc (it's the curls). But the picture on page four looks straight up european, scottish, english type.

Sorry, that's what it looks like to me.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

The illustrations look gorgeous, but I too don't see her as black. On the other hand, at least she's not blonde!!!

Wendy said...

I had the same thought when I read about the "tangle of dusky curls". And unlike Mardel, I really thought the page 4 picture was pretty dark, not unlike, say, the Liar cover model. In any case, Flory isn't a simpering pink-and-white fairy and I think all girls will enjoy her.

Unknown said...

This one's on my watch list for Newbery 2011. I look forward to reading it.

Doret said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

And, yes I am loving that pink and white fairy. I not into pink.

I can't wait to see the full color illustrations.

Vasilly said...

I have a long list of books that I want from Candlewick. It seems like a really great company. I see the character as black. I just finished re-reading The Bearskinner by Schlitz. I will add this to my TBR list.

Charlotte said...

I agree with you, Doret--she looks black to me...

Kate Coombs said...

Yes, I think she's black. Very cool!