Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Top Ten + Predictions

Betsy Bird is running a poll over at her SJL blog Fuse#8 Production. Everyone was asked to send in their top ten chapter books by Jan. 31

I'd thought I'd share my top 10 and two predictions.

1. Money Hungry by Sharon Flake
2. Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
3. I Wanna Be Your Shoebox by Cristina Gracia
4. Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee
5 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
6 To Be a Slave by Julius Lester
7 Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
8 Yankee Girl by Mary Ann Rodman
9 Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez
10. The Prince of Fenway Park by Julianna Baggott

My predictions for the poll

1. There will not be more then five authors of color on the list.

2.Though it's only been out since 2008 Laurie Halse Anderson's Chains will make the list.

9 comments:

MissA said...

How could I forget Yankee Girl?!!!! Ok I'm going to see if I can change Under the Same sky to yankee Girl, I really liked that book :)

I put I Wanna Be Your Shoebox on there too and Roll of Thunder.

I'm hoping there will be more authors of color than you think!

Neesha Meminger said...

You know, one that never makes it onto lists or anywhere else that I've seen lately? Gabrielle Zevin's ELSEWHERE. I *loved* that book.

Neesha Meminger said...

Sorry--that comma was TOTALLY in the wrong place. *facepalm*

Doret said...

Ari - Me Too

Neesha - I haven't read Elsewhere but I loved Zevin's Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

And I'll take misplaced comment. I am not picky.

Jeannine said...

Have to read some of those books on the list. Totally love coconut moon and I hope you are wrong about your numbers predictions. Unfortunately, you will probably be right.

mary ann rodman said...

Wow! I am so thrilled to be on your list and in such outstanding company. As far as I can tell, I think I might be the only Caucasian author on your list.
Thank you for remembering YANKEE GIRL. Even though it was issued in paperback in 2009, it originally published in 2004.

Doret said...

Jeannine - Shine Coconut Moon is a great

Mary Ann - Thanks for writing such a great book. I loved Yankee Girl. My list actually has on more Caucasian author, Baggott.

Kate Coombs said...

More predictions--that The Graveyard Book and When You Reach Me will make the list, too! (I remember finding the bottom 30-40 books on the Top 100 Picture Book poll last year pretty idiosyncratic, I might add. Diminishing returns?)

Kaethe said...

Thank you, Doret, for always bringing outstanding books to my attention. I haven't yet read any of your top ten, so that's a great list for me.

I, too, hope you're wrong about the number of authors of color who make the list, although I'm not confident. I can only hope that there are enough readers choosing to review a diverse range to make up for the mainstream lack of reviews.

And by the way, Neesha, I loved Shine, Coconut Moon. It'll certainly be on my list when Betsy asks for the top 100 YA novels. It's the first thing I think of for truly affecting stories about 9/11. Thank you for writing it.