Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You A Pie Robbin Gourley

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie: A Story about Edna Lewis by Robbin Gourley
When I first heard about this book, the name Edna Lewis sounded familiar though I couldn't place it. When the ARC arrived (thanks Jennifer) there was a picture of Edna Lewis on the back. It came to me then, I was like oh that Edna Lewis the chef. She came to the bookstore I work at a few years back to sign The Gift of Southern Cooking with co author Scott Peacock. Though I didn't get a chance to say hello, the line was very long. That book still sells very well. In this story about Edna Lewis, Gourley shows us how the Lewis family eats whatever the season brings. The story opens with a birds call signaling the end of winter and the beginning of spring. In each season the Lewis family picks the ripe fruit and vegetables. It's not looked upon as a chore, the family works together filling baskets and singing rhymes. The rhymes tell of the many things that can be done with the picked food. Some will be canned to be kept in the celler for winter. This would be a great read aloud with its nice easy flow. Gourley's illustrations made me want to trade the chocolate I was eating while reading this for some fresh fruit. I must give two thumbs up to a book featuring fruits and vegetables that make my mouth water. Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You A Pie is a great book to help teach children where and when fruit and vegetables are grown and their importance in our daily diet. Gourley has placed a few recipes in the back of the book - including one for corn pudding and apple crisp

Time to Share
When the wild blackberries are ripe, Edna, Sister, and Brother forage early in the day, before thunderstorms start to rumble. Sweet berries stain hands and lips and teeth blue.

Bring Me Some Apples and I'll Make You a Pie received a starred Publishers Weekly Review

3 comments:

Bailey said...

Hello -
I am a filmmaker in Atlanta. I read your blog with the mention of Edna Lewis and her recipes.

I just wanted to let you know I produced a 21 minute documentary about Miss Edna Lewis and it's viewable in its entirety on Internet at a Gourmet Magazine website:

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/video/2008/01/Edna


and at a Georgia Public Broadcasting website:

http://www.cforty7.com/film/theater?film_test=16

My documentary is called Fried Chicken and Sweet Potato Pie.

My website, http://bbarash.com/bb_friedchicken.htm has more information about the film and the story of Miss Lewis.

Sincerely,
Bailey Barash

Doret said...

So Edna Lewis cooked for Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote, one of the many cool facts I learned from the documentary. Thanks Bailey

Kyra said...

Thanks for sharing this title! I look forward to reading it.

You're invited to my blog to share your thoughts on the 2009 Coretta Scott King Award - mock winners.

Best, Kyra
www.BlackThreadsinKidsLit.blogspot.com