Monday, June 2, 2008

Separate but Equal, Guys do read


We have a YA table with bestsellers and new releases. A few months ago, I noticed it was all geared towards girls. Of course when I saw this error I kept on seeing guys pass by the table. One side of the YA table now features male protagonists. At first I was wary of doing the whole separate but equal, gender split thing. Thinking maybe I should just add guy titles and mix it. I didn't think guys would want to be seen browsing around Gossip Girls or the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. So I split the table and it works very well. An extra bonus, the parents love it.
I love Jay Asher's novel Thirteen Reasons Why. It's great for guys and girls. Though if its next to more teen girl books, guys aren't going to give it a second chance. When Thirteen Reasons Why first came out I blurbed it towards girls. When I redid the table I did another blurb for guys. It sold as well, actually better, since girls aren't put off by the guy side of the table.
To say guys don't read is crap. I work at a bookstore with guys, ergo they read.
A new blog went active today the guys lit wire. I am very excited about it because its going to up my boys book game. Its for guys reading needs. News and reviews of books guys would want to read. So if you're in search of a book for a son, nephew or anyone with Y chromosome, you should check out guys lit wire.

No comments: