Monday, June 30, 2008

Dairy Queen Catherine Gilbert Murdock


Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. I've great things about this book for a while now. I just never got around to reading it. If you asked me why I couldn't give you a good answer. This book definitely lived up to the praise. As much as I love sports I am not an athlete. I pretty much suck at sports. When trying to play handball the only thing I hit hard was air. I was the black girl who couldn't jump double dutch or even turn. It didn't get any better as I got older. Kickball, I was the one who hit the hard high pop up right back to the pitcher. That week of softball was awful, I'm left handed and the gym teacher always made a big deal of moving me around. The only way I would make it to the Olympics is if trash talk became an Olympic sport.
Murdock's character D.J. Schwenk is an athlete. Though she is more than that she is also a daughter, a sister, a farmer and many other things but she is not a cow. She thinks for herself and controls her future.
I really enjoyed Dairy Queen. D.J. lives in Red Bend a small Wisconsin Town. The Schwenk's are athletes. D.J.'s older brothers Win and Bill both got football scholarships. She begins training Brian the QB of the rival school, Hawley. Towards the end of the summer D.J. decides she wants to play football. I will never again question why or if a girl could play football. I loved D.J.'s voice, it was pure and authentic. Dairy Queen is one of those novels that stays with you. So now I am totally on the Dairy Queen is a great book band wagon. I wave my ticket proudly next stop, the sequel, Off Season

No comments: