Monday, August 31, 2009

Harlem Stomp Laban Carrick Hill


The cover don't lie, this is a gorgeous book inside and out. Harlem Stomp is classified as childrens nonfiction, however its great for adults as well. Hill doesn't simply give us the Harlem Renasissance, she gives everything that lead up to it, beginning in 1905. Hill introduces Booker T. Washington and W.E.B Du Bois and his talented tenth. She tells of the beginnings of the NAACP in 1910. As with any book that deals with the history of race relations in this country, Harlem Stomp will make your heart swell sadness, anger, hope, and joy. It's filled with facts, photographs, paintings and the words and work of the Harlem Renaissance artists. The author highlights several artists, including Jean Toomer and Paul Robeson, Meta Warrick Fuller and Aaron Douglas. Harlem Stomp is a must for anyone who wants to learn more about the Harlem Renaissance. It was a 2004 National Book Award finalist.

4 comments:

Color Online said...

Congratulations, Doret!

You are one of our Color Me Brown winners.

Come by and select your book prize from our Prize Bucket. Send me your snail address and title.

Thanks for participating.

Tarie Sabido said...

Thanks for introducing me to this book. I want it! I have always been fascinated by the Harlem Renaissance.

Amy Bowllan said...

Doret, this looks very interesting. Thank you for sharing these goodies. I will certainly add them to our upcoming Children's Reading List series.

MissA said...

I love reading about the Harlem Renaissance. I've always wanted to see a YA book about it, a positive period in AA hisotry that doesn't involve slavery (although I do like reading about the civil rights movement).
I'm definitely going to check this book out!