Thursday, April 30, 2009

Our Children Can Soar Michelle Cook

Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
Michelle Cook
If you visit my blog on a regular basis you'll know this is a re post. However the first time around I hadn't read the book. I was helping a customer today, when I saw Our Children Can Soar I couldn't help but let out a little scream of glee. Its a beautiful book filled with sparse text. I went through the book twice. The first time around I played a fun new game, guess the illustrator. I did not do well. I blame it, on being too cocky after my first guess, E.B. Lewis. It was actually the art work of James Ransome. Their styles are similar but wrong is wrong. It didn't get much better after that, the only one I got right was Frank Morrison. I am still kicking myself for not recognizing Bryan Collier's work. The following is pretty much the same from the last post. There is still time to contact Books of Wonder and get an Autographed First Edition.

I have no idea who got all of these talented illustrators together but to them I say thank you. Among these artist there are 5 Corretta Scott Kind Award Winners, 18 Corretta Scott Honors, 3 John Steptoe Award Winners, 5 Caldecott Honors and 1 Geisel Honor From Bloomsbury Press Page This is the seed of a unique picture book that is part historical, part poetry, and entirely inspirational. It takes the reader through the cumulative story of the US Civil Rights Movement, expanding the popular slogan beyond these three heroes to include more key players in the struggle for equality. Spare prose and vivid imagery make this a truly moving and accessible picture book to be savored by readers of all ages.

The illustrators

Our Children Can Soar received a starred Publisher Weekly review

It took while to cut and paste all of the illustrators website, so please make my hard work worthwhile and check out a few of these beautiful sites. While searching Our Children Can Soar, I came upon a upcoming book signing to be held at Books of Wonder a bookstore in NYC. 10 out of the 13 illustrators will be signing. I get nothing out of mentioning this but I couldn't not tell of this event, that would just be wrong. So I emailed the store to see if they take out of state orders and they do. This is the response I received from the assistant manager. We are always happy to take orders from customers in other states, especially for author signing events. Customers may call the store via the information on our website and order over the phone. We will ship the books to them anywhere in the U.S.A. for a small shipping fee plus the cost of the books.

Please feel free to mention this on your website.

So here's the book signing info


OUR CHILDREN CAN SOAR SATURDAY, MAY 2nd, 12 - 2:00PM OUR CHILDREN CAN SOAR Come celebrate the publication of this landmark children’s book with 10 of the 13 illustrators! BRYAN COLLIER • LEO & DIANE DILLON • PAT CUMMINGS • ERIC VELASQUEZ • E. B. LEWIS • SHADRA STRICKLAND • JAMES RANSOME • COZBI CABRERA • GREG CHRISTIE

If you collect children's books this is a must. You'll probably never get another opportunity to have so many awarding illustrators sign a first edition. It would make a great gift for history and art fans. If you buy it has a gift you should just go ahead and get one for yourself, once you see it you'll regret not buying two. If you know someone who might be interested in owning a signed first edition soon to be a classic children's book please let them know before the signing. If you tell them after the fact they may cut you, if not with a knife at least with their tongue or eyes. If you decide to buy a book or two, please tell them where you heard about the event.

4 comments:

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Thank you for urging me to look at all those websites(let alone doing all that work to compile them)! The illustrators are so striking. Cozbi, Morrison(I love his sci-fi stuff), Bryan Collier(that first collage) will all stick with me tonight, until I can come back to view more. Thank you, thank you!

Doret said...

No thank you, for visting those beautiful sites. I am glad someone did.

Anonymous said...

Doret, you rock! I ordered my book!!

Doret said...

It will be a sweet one for your collection Edi.