Friday, February 20, 2009

Girl Overboard Justina Chen Headley

Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headley. 15yr old Syrah Cheng dreamed of becoming a professional snowboarder then she blows her knee out. Syrah's parents and step parents cast very large shadows. Her father Ethan Cheng is a billionire, many people strive to do things the Ethan Cheng Way. Before the accident, snowboarding defined Syrah and she had freedom on the slopes. Now Syrah must figure out what she wants and learn out to fight for it. She finds peace in her manga journal. Syrah's story doesn't begin with her, its a continuation, Headley shares the stories of her parents as well, like what happened to her mother when the communist took over China. I loved Headley's writing and really enjoyed Girl Overboard. Syrah finds a new path, learns how to forgive herself and comes back stronger.

Time to Share
I'm tired of being a Que Syrah Syrah girl, the one who's left behind in the cold snowdrift of memories and pretends that's okay. The girl who's too afraid to read about someone else's adventures because it magnifies how distant her own dreams have become. On my stepstool, I reach for the topmost shelf where I've stashed my video resume. The CD case in my hands feels too slight to contain the best minute and fourteen seconds of my snowboarding tricks.

Girl Overboard was originally released in 2007 and is now available in paperback

No comments: